Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I hate the sound of my voice

Have you ever lost your cell phone in your house and borrowed another phone to call it? Sometimes you're still listening for the ringing when all the ringing runs out and you catch a snippet of your own voice on your out-going message. The same thing happens when you have some reason to speak into a microphone. Whenever I have to speak into a microphone I have a hard time focusing on what I'm supposed to be saying because I'm fascinated with the sound coming out of the speakers. Really? I walk around sounding like that? And people put up with me?

Um, that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm just not sure if I like my writing voice. Unlike hearing a recording or an amplification of my speaking voice, there is no way for me to know what my written voice is like to other people. Most things I write sound good in my head as I'm writing them, but later I just don't care for it. When I read blogs I like I think, "Oh Schmutzie, Fluid Pudding, Lady Linoleum, and cake wrecks Jen--I like you. You sound funny and interesting and I think we have stuff in common." But even though I am me--I just don't feel that way about my own writing.

That's right, I feel that I have nothing in common with......MYSELF.

I think I sound like a big dork, and sometimes like a big pretentious dork. Ug.

No comments:

Post a Comment